Wednesday, January 23, 2008

should I be worried?

In class yesterday I learned a little about Aphasia... and I was shocked to be able to relate so well with the symptoms! One indicator is that you hesitate before answering a simple question.

Like the countless times that I hesitate and have to think about what my major is, or how old I am before responding to such basic questions. "What's your name?" "uh... what's my name?... oh! Caryn."

Another symptom of Aphasia is that you dramatically overreact emotionally to the stimulus through excessive laughter or tears.

Like the time when I went to get my oil changed and cried intensely because I went to the wrong building.

Or the time when my professor made a dorky comment in class and I laughed audibly for thirty minutes.

Or the time when I set off the fire alarm in Smith/Adams and started bawling at the thought of inconveniencing the firemen. Actually, the fire alarm malfunctioned- I was innocent!

hmm... should I be worried?

8 comments:

Lisa said...

It's plausible.

Anonymous said...

Sooo --- What's wrong?

Anonymous said...

It's genetic! Aunt Karen

Unknown said...

We went through this in nursing school. We'd read about some illness or disease and immediately notice we had those symptoms. Don't worry. You probably don't. Just chalk it up for being a Carroll girl. ;)

Lisa said...

uhh...what do you mean by that, Amber?

Lisa said...

why does "liisa" keep popping up? How does this stuff happen?

Karen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen said...

It's Jeanettic!