Sunday, September 20, 2009

two new little sisters!

My favorite "roles" in life are related to family- I love being a daughter, a sister, and, now, an aunt! Living in Dallas, I have missed my family a great deal, and I have missed the "roles" I play within my family.
Two precious girls have been "adopted" into our church family, and I have thoroughly enjoyed playing the part of "big sister" again. These girls are not blessed with a wonderful Christian family with high standards and strong morals. They do not have an older sister who makes wise decisions worth emulating, so the home church ladies, including me, have adopted these lovely girls into our family! It has been eye-opening, and disheartening, to hear the everyday issues they deal with that are so foreign to me... at school they are bullied, threatened, sexually harassed, isolated, and mocked... at home they have few guidelines, low standards, harsh discipline, and a new phone number every 3 months. I cannot steal these girls and give them a new home with different and pleasurable experiences, but I can be a big sister to them and listen to them, serve them, love them, and speak truth over them. Pouring into these girls has been such a blessing to all of us! They are so easy to love!

5 comments:

Happy said...

Caryn, Have I told you lately that I love you!!!!

Caryn said...

Happy!!! I love you, too!!! I'll be in town next weekend, coffee?!?

Lisa said...

Caryn, how cool is this?! I love your pics - and YOU. You'll be a good big sis to them. Your little sis here will love having you around this weekend!!! See you soon.

Unknown said...

AND your BIG sis looks forward to seeing you this weekend, too!!! You're so precious!

Caryn said...

Aww shucks! I'm so excited to see BOTH of my sisters this weekend... and my brothers... and my parents... and my grandparents! Can't wait!