Tuesday, July 17, 2007

El Primera Dia de Escuela! (the first day of school)

Two of our friends, Hannah and Laura, have joined Jana and I here to study. (They are even living in the same house! whoop whoop!) The four of us have enjoyed walking around the city, sitting in the park, watching people, and drinking coffee.

Yesterday our classes started! Yea! Class is from 1:00pm-6:00pm. I'm studying for five hours every day one-on-one with a tutor named Magaly. Magaly is wonderful! She is patient, kind, and very experienced. She has three little girls. She laughs at me often, and I believe she's thrilled at my eagerness to learn. She knows just enough English to make me feel comfortable and not completely confused. The school placed me in level B (which is level 2), so I'm reviewing and learning- which is great! It's exactly where I wanted to be.

During the five hours of class, mi maestra (my teacher) and I talk the whole time. We practice the lesson verbally through thousands of questions and answers. We sit at a table with a white board which aids Magaly in her teaching. Its fun- I love white boards!

The Christian Spanish Academy provides unlimited tea and coffee- amazing! After three hours straight of conversation in a foreign language, coffee was a necessity. We have a thirty minute break in the middle of class which is also a necessity. After class yesterday, my brain was completely fried. My mind hurt so much that my body was achy as well. Whew! Spanish is exhausting!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Caryn, Te extrano mucho! Que linda is Antigua, no? Como te parece?
Te quiero mucho y esperare por mas noticias de tus aventuras.

Anonymous said...

Que???

Happy

Lisa said...

lol
OK, my interpretation of this is:
Caryn, You drink too much! Antigua is pretty, isn't it? How are your parents? (we're fine.)
Have a good time and don't get into too much adventure. (or does it say, "looking forward to hearing more about your adventures?)
Am I close?
Que lastima!

Caryn said...

Oh, my dear Amber Joy- I still don't understand all that you said (so I appreciate Happy's and Mom's comments)!

Unknown said...

Mi amor, don't listen to your Mom. She was way off.
What I said was this:
Caryn, I miss you soo much! Antigua is very beautiful, is it not? What do you think of it?
I love you very much, and I am waiting for more news of your adventures.
But by the end of this week, you won't need MY translation. ;)