Friday, July 27, 2007

El Dia de Santiago

In Guatemala, the week of July 25 there is a huge celebration for Santiago (St. James, the apostle of Jesus). From what I understand, they believe that Santiago preached the gospel in Spain and that his body was carried to Spain after his martyrdom. Also, they believe that Santiago miraculously appeared in the Reconquista in AD 722 (the battle in which the Christians fought the Muslims to regain Spain and Portugal).

All week we have been enjoying this fiesta! There have been monstrous parades, ear-damaging firecrackers, concerts, and a magnificent fireworks show! Celebrating alongside these Guatemalans has been ever-s0-much fun! I do believe that I will need hearing aids when I return to Los Estados Unidos. The fireworks show was amazing! It may have been the best show I've ever seen! And they exploded right above our heads! Yikes! There was even a man who ran through the park with fireworks shooting off of his back!

It is this type of thing that makes a country unique and special. I'm thankful to have witnessed this cultural celebration!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Carina, Sounds like a blast! ha ha.
You're absolutely precious, and I miss you terribly! When are you coming home? Of course, I want to come visit you! But, you may remember, I just got back from there. ;)

Caryn said...

You "punny" girl! I'm coming home Aug. 14th. When are you flying in to Guatemala? I'll make sure someone picks you up!