Sunday, April 12, 2009

Proposals and the like...

Providing therapy services for adults has been a learning experience... sometimes stressful and sometimes amusing! There is one elderly gentleman who is constantly commenting on my "beautiful red hair" and asking me to turn around so he can look at it once more. One day he even took off his cap, held it over his heart, and asked me to marry him. Fortunately my supervisor was there to provide a polite, yet professional, response on my behalf. A younger client I work with is constantly inviting me over to his house to "hang out" (which is obviously not permitted!). These little instances keep me smiling. However, this week my young client's uninhibited request made me laugh aloud in disgust and astonishment! After therapy I was talking with my supervisor when my young adult client approached us. My supervisor introduced him to the prospect of coming for therapy over the summer. With flat affect, he slowly processed the invitation. While moving his eyes up and down my body he asked, "Well, could I get a 'little something' on the side?". What?!! Who asks that?!? I chuckle and remind myself that a frontal lobe injury will lead a young male to say exactly what he's thinking in the most inappropriate time and setting.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Yikes! Caryn, be careful. Men are on the prowl...

Tammy M. said...

Bless your heart. Truthfulness is refreshing, but I guess it depends on what they are thinking. You do have lovely red hair...you might need to put it up in a bun to keep all the men at bay ; )

Lisa said...

Are you sure it's just a frontal lobe injury?!
Caryn, this blog made me laugh and cringe at the same time. These aren't exactly the kinds of proposal a young woman desires, huh. I'm with Tammy - keeping your hair in a tight bun might be a good idea. (OK, I'm still chuckling and grossing out.)
Does this mean that YOU would have this young man again this summer?!

Kelli said...

EEWWW!!!

Caryn said...

Amber, yes they are... especially men with head injuries!
Tammy, good advice! I may try that!
Mom, I still chuckle and cringe when I think about it- yuck! But, no, I will not be their clinician this summer! whew! Another lucky girl will have the pleasure of working with these endearing gentlemen!
Kelli, yes, indeed.

Lisa said...

I am glad to hear that you won't have either of these guys again. yuk. I'm also glad that your supervisor stays rather close. Please don't dismay - there are decent men out there. Perhaps not the kind with whom you are working.