Friday, September 5, 2008

My New School

School has started! It has shocked me how much higher the professors' expectations are in graduate school than in undergrad. Looking around the classroom at my fellow speech-language pathology (SLP) graduate students has also fascinated me. I am not the only beautiful, intelligent, responsible, straight-A student in the class- I'm just one of 80. We all graduated with honors, we all would cry if we made a C, we all have our daily planners filled, and we all have our notes color-coordinated.

In order to be considered competent as an SLP, I must complete at least 400 hours of clinical practicum throughout the next two years of school. This semester I am working with one and two-year-olds who are considered "language-delayed" but who have no other developmental delays. This practicum is basically a language-rich preschool where we strive to increase the children's expressive vocabularies through different activities, fun literature, and lots of repetition. I even get to wear a cool lab coat! I feel like God has really prepared me for this experience- it's nearly exactly what I did last year with my special needs children! Wednesday was our first day, and hopefully it is not foreshadowing how the rest of the semester will be. Out of three kids, two of them wailed the entire time, and one of them vomited. Yuck. It was still enjoyable, and I think I'll really love it!

3 comments:

Tammy M. said...

You will do great! Those kids are so blessed to have you ; )

Jennifer Nieland said...

Only you would say that two kids cried the whole time, and one threw up and you loved it!! Hahaha.... I love you, Caryn! I am excited for you!

Anonymous said...

Be assured that you are the most beautiful, intelligent, responsible, straight-A student in the class...no matter how beautiful, intelligent, responsible, or straight-A-ed the other students may be.
Love you! Sheila