Monday, October 12, 2009

Parkland Peeps

One of the primary reasons I wanted to intern at Parkland is because of the patients. This hospital provides services for the people who may not have insurance, who may not speak English, who may not have family or friends come to visit, and who may not always abide by the laws of this country. These are individuals who are desperate to see Christ manifested in patience, peace, love, joy, kindness, gentleness, and goodness. Although I definitely have plenty of room to grow in the fruit of the Spirit (that fact just continues to be confirmed every day), it's nice to see how much more brilliant your light is when you are surrounded by such darkness.

Every morning I am in for a surprise! Who knows?! I may be asked to work with an individual with a gunshot wound, a prisoner, a minister, a homeless person, an alcoholic, a drug dealer, a drug addict, or just a regular person... except I've only worked with one "regular" person. There have been occasions where I have been shown hostility and aggression (mostly, though, the agitation is secondary to the brain injury), but for the most part, the patients have been respectful and appreciative.

Hospitals can be a depressing setting, surrounded by illness, injury, and death, but there is so much opportunity to give hope and love to these hopeless and lonely people.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I just love your sweet, tender heart. You've always been that way. I admire that in you. Wish I were more like you.
Love,
Yo Sista

Lisa said...

I can remember working in places where I felt like my small dim light shone brighter - where those around me noticed that I was "different" - in a good way. Sometimes it's nice to see the difference that Christ makes in one's life. Bless you, dear young lady.

Caryn said...

Thanks, sista, and thanks, Mom! I love you both!