Sunday, October 25, 2009

No Sabbath = Sickness

It's pretty clear from the scriptures and from observing nature that God intends for His people to Sabbath. Not only is Sabbath a command, but it is also our nature- its how we were created. We are to work 6 days and rest on the seventh. We need the rest! God created us to Sabbath every night (with sleep) and one day a week. Sabbath is not a cruel command- it's a gracious gift! But we so often refuse this gift because it doesn't fit into our schedules with our current lifestyle.

In my life, the times that I get sick are when I don't allot enough time for my body to rest (i.e. right now). I've been running around like crazy trying to complete all of my school assignments, working at the research lab at school, and interning at Parkland. I understand that this is only a season, but it's been an exhausting season that defies my nature- my need for Sabbath. So, here I am now, sick as a dog, getting little work or schoolwork done. When I don't give my body the Sabbath it desires and requires, my body rebels and demands that rest through illness.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's what happened to Kent too. I'm so sorry, sister, that you are sick right now.

Lisa said...

I'm glad that you were able to take 2 days off - a much needed rest. Hope you feel better soon!

Michelle Jimenez said...

Thanks...once again...for the reminder. ;) Hope you're feeling better!