Friday, May 30, 2008

So much evil

Hotel Rwanda was the family movie the Carroll's watched tonight. So much hatred, so much violence, so much injustice. It is such a powerful movie, but what do you do with this message? I am the American mentioned in the movie that sees the terror and cruelty on the news and continues to eat my dinner. What can be done?

There is evil, pain, and suffering in Abilene, too.

Alicia is a victim of evil. Her mother did drugs while she was pregnant with this now four-year-old child. She barely walks, her bones are as brittle as egg shells, she has very limited language, and she is exceedingly unstable emotionally. She also has a precious smile that melts my heart. She can say the word "book" and "sheep", and sometimes "cat". Alicia plays peek-a-boo and gives slobbery kisses, and when she hugs, she leaves some snot on you.

Joey is yet another human child who has seen far too much evil in his life. There is no father around, and his mother gave him and his siblings to her mom. The grandmother is exhausted and passes her babies from one person to the next. His expressive vocabulary consists mostly of curse words and "shut up". The latter I hear about 10 times each hour. This young boy attempts to steal something from the classroom each day, and he wears a smug smile when he thinks he will succeed in the theft. He bullies those who are weaker on the playground. Everywhere we go, he waves his hand to every passerby and says, "hi, Joey" as they ignore his effort to be noticed.

Adrianna's life was stolen from her when her mother beat her with the force that would injure an adult when she was only seven weeks old. She is now deaf and blind and functions at a 0-12 month level. This three-year-old baby barely walks, does not respond to touch (or visuals or sounds), does not even goo and coo, and is still bottle-fed.

These are only three of my eleven "students" whom I worked with everyday this semester. They are all so dear. They have made me cry on numerous occasions- they break my heart. Evil and hatred are so evident in the stories of my children as they were in the film we just viewed. Their lives are hopeless, and I am helpless. I can love and I can pray, but I want to do so much more.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take heart, as you do so much more than you realize.

Lisa said...

Wow, Caryn. Sobering thoughts.
As is illustrated by Paul in the movie, you can best help those in your circle. Paul witnessed much killing, but he rescued quite a few neighbors, co-workers, friends, and acquaintances, along with his dearly beloved family.
I believe that God places us where He needs us to be, and it is our duty to hear His voice when needed. I also believe that you have keen hearing.
As all of those children that you work with are precious in His sight, so are you!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for making a difference for those around you Caryn. I greatly admire your tender, loving heart and I know God uses it daily to touch everyone you know for Him.

Love, Sheila

Karen said...

Caryn, As you have witnessed daily, there are people right here that need nurturing. No one needs to go to a foreign country when there is so much need in our own neighborhood. Foreign places need a lot of help, also, I do know that! I am so proud of you for giving some care, hugs,and life to these precious children. It is hard to imagine that so many sad things happen in our wonderful, Christian city. It truly is a mission field. Growing up shouldn't be so hard for these little ones. You have made our town a better place. Love, Aunt Karen

Anonymous said...

A number of pretty good tips. Effectively thought out

Anonymous said...

This is great written content. I'll certainly often be blogging and also spreading all of this. Just what I believed i was looking for.