Monday, March 31, 2008

Caryn Carroll has a very bad temper. Caryn Carroll has a very bad temper. Caryn Ca...

Parking on-campus costs $75.00; parking is limited and rarely available for those who live off-campus. Parking off-campus (or on the street right next to campus) costs nothing, or so I thought. I chose the latter- it's cheaper! Parking on the street actually cost me several quarters to refill my tires that had been deflated by a ridiculously absurd neighbor. The next time I parked on the street a note was left on my windshield saying, "STOP parking here. Next time your tires will be slashed". Slightly intimidated by the note, I started parking in the half-empty (some might say half-full) parking lot of Smith/Adams for my 5:00am-9:00am shift working at the Smadams desk on Monday and Friday mornings. The police never, ever, ever appear at the forgotten off-campus residence hall, and I only park there illegally from 8:00-9:00am, so I figured that this was a good solution that will prevent me from having to pay for four new tires.

Well, as of this morning, my off-campus parking has cost me $15 (plus the previously mentioned quarters) because a student worker for the ACU police department (traitor) thought it was necessary to give me a parking ticket. I was walking out to my truck while she was writing it and I thought about jumping in my truck and quickly driving off. I didn't. She handed me the ticket while I asked her in a very stern and angry voice, "Is this really necessary?" I drove off ticked off and wearing a "kill everyone" expression on my face with my eyebrow cocked, lips pursed, and eyes saying "if you merely look at me, I'll punch you in the face".

So, my parking options for the rest of the semester are to
1. pay for a parking permit- absurd
2. continue to park in Smadams parking lot since it will probably be neglected by the police for the rest of the semester- possibly
3. park across the street and get my tires slashed- maybe not
4. park further down the street and walk next to the dwelling place of a sex offender at 5:00 in the morning- probably
5. walk a mile to work at 5:00 in the morning (still passing the sex offender's house)- nope

10 comments:

Lisa said...

I vote that you park in the Smadams parking lot, risking another ticket, knowing that your dear ol' mamasita will pay the next one. ;)
Only a few more weeks, Caryn. You can do it; you can do it...

Anonymous said...

Go plead you case to the Campus Police. They often are nice (or they used to be) The ex-chief is our friend and we have heard his stories. I hope it works. They shouldn't treat you like that!!!

Kelli said...

Oh, Happy, they aren't nice. If Jesus lived today he might have said something like, "It is easier for an ACU student to get out of a campus parking ticket than for a rich person to go to heaven."

My input: How about NOT options 4 and 5?

Unknown said...

I talked them out of a ticket once. After encouragement from Happy and Papa.
In the future, however, I'd vote for parking at Smadams.
Did you TELL that kid WHO YOU ARE?!
"Do you know who I am?" works every time. ;)

Caryn said...

You all are so wonderful! You've made me laugh! Since mom has my next ticket covered, I suppose that I will park in Smadams again. Thanks! Kelli, I think you should consider rewriting Jesus quotes as a living. Amber, next time I'll try that one out. I am, after all, CARYN CARROLL!

Lisa said...

Yep, "steer clear" of options 4 & 5!

Karen said...

I agree. Cancel #4 and #5 and just let your sweet mom pay your ticket (if you get another one!) Way to come to the rescue, Lisa! Love, Aunt Karen

Jennifer Nieland said...

Caryn! You should park at my parent's house, then use my old bike to ride up to SMADAMS. No tickets, and with this spring weather, it would be nice some days!!

Jennifer Nieland said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer Nieland said...
This comment has been removed by the author.