Friday, February 29, 2008

Signing again!

For about a month, now, I have been working at Woodson Elementary with the PCDD program (I'm not sure, but I think that it stands for Preschool Children with Developmental Delays). This job plopped in my lap! I randomly ran into a man from church who invited me to a Kiwani's Club luncheon. During the meal, the man sitting next to me asked me a few questions, and then he asked me if I wanted a job. So, here I am! Working with precious preschoolers with special needs.

This job has definitely been eye-opening. Many of these children are neglected or abused. They are so desperate for attention! Behavior is a constant issue, because not only are the kids mistreated at home, but they have (practically) zero expressive language. Hearing a grunt that slightly resembles a word is a huge feat. Because most of our children are not vocal, I am able to dust-off my sign language skills to communicate with them. It is amazing how effective signing is. I'm enjoying this opportunity to use my gift of sign!

4 comments:

Karen said...

Caryn, hooray for you! Most of the children from my school go there. You're saving them. The world's toughest class, mine from last year, only 1/3 of them went. You can imagine how hard it is to teach them to read! Love, Aunt Karen

Unknown said...

Yay! I've always wanted to see you doing more of that!
Wonderful!

Caryn said...

Oh, Aunt Karen! I'm sorry. You're amazing to do what you do!

Anonymous said...

Caryn & Karen, What a great servant hearts you have. These children need you desparately. I am so proud of you.
Happy