Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Gardening... It's Life Giving

Last Spring, with all of the stresses and demands of a first-year job, I decided to do an experimental garden. This new experience has brought such joy to my life, as I eagerly come home from work to check on the growth of my vegetables or spend hours on the weekends in the fresh air working the rich soil.

Although last summer's garden croaked with our scorching sun, I tried a fall garden and have had incredible success! The bountiful crop of spinach, red leaf, and green leaf lettuce has been sufficient for daily salads for myself and my neighbors. The carrots are deliciously sweet and flavorful and are now a favored snack.

Under the guidance of the Farmer's Almanac, new seeds have been planted and will be planted! Witnessing seeds growing to fruition is beautiful and fills my heart with joy!
(Above: my garden this fall; Below: garden this winter)


(Above and below: my garden this spring... so far.)

3 comments:

merrell cotton III said...

That is one super awesome looking Garden. I look forward to growing a garden someday. How do you use that almanac though to grow?

Caryn said...

Hey Merrell!!! I definitely encourage you to grow a garden if you have the opportunity! It's well worth the time and energy (but really, it doesn't take too much time). The almanac has been a helpful guide for informing me on good days/months to plant my different seeds.

Anonymous said...

Caryn, I am so proud of you in your gardening endeavor. It is so rewarding to just watch things grow and I never get tired of it. Your vegetable garden has made me look for some sunnier places in my itty, bitty yard. I have planted three tomatoes and hopefully, will be able to have a little fall garden also. Thanks for your inspiration. I love seeing your pictures. I have a little more sun in the front yard, now that your dad cut down that big tree for Marianne (and us!)Emma was such a fun outing. Great to see you this week-end. Love, Aunt Karen