Friday, June 5, 2009

A Chronic Case of Hiccups

Hic-cup. /hIkVp/: noun. small nuisance in life which interrupts the regular breathing pattern of one's typical daily schedule.

In my one year of living in Dallas, I have experienced many hiccups. Last semester went rather smoothly, so I was beginning to think that my diaphragm was contracting and relaxing at a normal pace with no unusual twitches. However, this summer semester, the speed of my respiratory cycle has been rapidly increasing with my excessive school/work load. In addition to my irregular breathing pattern, I had an unfortunate hiccup this week.

Upon finishing my class discussing cognitive rehab, I walked out to my car to see that the passenger window had been busted and the inside of my car was ransacked. My nifty GPS, CD player, CD's, digital camera, and purse had all been taken.

After crying from the initial shock and disappointment of this unfortunate event, I can now laugh at the absurdity of the situation. This poor thief is probably disappointed that the purse did not contain my wallet or anything valuable. The Bible on CDs, Ray van der Laan, and Chronicles of Narnia CDs will probably not be of any interest of his/hers nor will these bring in any significant profit. And the camera, which was dropped at Warwick castle in England four years ago, is held together by a hair rubber-band and is only considered valuable by me. It's a lose-lose situation and a very big bummer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bummer, Caryn. Doesn't it feel great to be almost half done with grad school? Hang in there--the end is near. It will all be worth it in the end.
Aunt Laura

Caryn said...

Yes, ma'am! Next May! The end is in sight!