Monday, February 2, 2009

A Catch-Breath

This semester has already been far more pleasant than the last (thank You, God), but that doesn't mean that it's been easy. I have a roommate, a place to live, and a great job! But I also have new classes, hundreds of pages to read, papers to write, projects to complete, tests to study for, and therapy sessions to prepare for (I know... I shouldn't end a phrase in a preposition- oh well). I'm truly exhausted, and yet so thankful to not have the hiccups this semester!

In the midst of my exhaustion, I had a great weekend with my mom, sister, grandma, aunts (and uncle), cousins, and friends! We played "Paper" all weekend, which means that we went to specialty paper stores and made artsy-crafty things while drinking coffee, laughing excessively, and enjoying the company of the people we love so dearly. This weekend was a "catch-breath", and I'm so thankful for it! Perhaps I can endure the rest of graduate school with "catch-breaths" like this one!



In case you're interested- A catch-breath is a tiny breath in the middle of a phrase or sentence which provides you with enough air to complete the thought without taking a full breath of air. This is a compensatory strategy speech-language pathologists teach to aid their clients who are unable to use their air more efficiently when they speak (often because of neurological or physical damage).

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Very fun indeed! Have you hung up your picture yet? It looked so pretty.
I'm glad that this semester has started on a better note.

Anonymous said...

Caryn, You are one of my dear blessings. It's always fun to be together. I am glad school is better, and I know you are capable of doing a good job.
What was my grade on my test???

Caryn said...

Mom- I have not yet hung my picture. I had intended to do that this weekend, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Happy- YOU are such a blessing! I love being in your family! You passed the test with flying colors! Very impressive for 1:00am!

Are we having coffee next Saturday?